I'm probably not the creative you're used to working with.
I’ve shed the limitation of static-only, anemic designs, patched together with hotspots or exported as PDFs only to be printed out and pinned to whiteboards. I’ve traded pixel-perfect for responsibly-responsive and accessibly inclusive.
In the process of adding more tools to my toolbox, I’ve changed how I design and build user experiences and themes, and ultimately how users use those products. If you would like to delve deeper into this process and workflow you can access the presentation I used for my talk at No Code Conf 2019 here.
Web is just a medium, though, so I come correct with professional digital, editorial, print, and branding experience since 2005.
With ten years of freelance/contractor experience, it is a difficult matter elaborating the countless projects and figurative hats I've donned. In a weak summation, however, a key role in these ten years logged so far has been as an art director and general creative consultant for Swedish News: an American-Swedish publisher and distributor with a nearly 150 year old newspaper (with a basis of over 130,000 national and international subscribers), a quarterly lifestyle magazine (with an average 40,000 subscribers), and countless books and novels.
Now for the bullets…
Agency Experience (discluding freelance)
- Provide front-end development/theming for (mostly) Drupal builds.
- Provide in-medium UX/UI design and prototyping.
- Support sales and strategy.
- Evangelize and consult on in-medium (no code) design workflow and product building.
- Provide high level ideation, data analysis, and UX/UI design for a wide range of clients.
- Provide print material and branding design and production.
- Internal evangelist for in-medium design and workflow.
- Key player in the evolution of the agency from a [primarily] development build/support vendor to a full-service boutique.
- Lead a team of designers (2-4 on average, including contractors and full-time staff) through critiques, technical assistance, and production tasks. Assist in resourcing designers and suggesting front-end engineers, leveraging each individual's unique abilities.
- Evangelist and tutor for in-medium design and workflow.
- Assist in new hires and the on-boarding of designers and freelancers.
- Lead the agency in aesthetics, RFP pitches, and the design-to-development hand-off process.
- Assist a friend in the growth of their accounting and tax consulting boutique by intimately consulting all business housekeeping needs from tax consulting for clientele to branding/marketing.
- Lead the design and production efforts, as well as a tight team of one main designer and a shifting third/fourth resource (usually an engineer and/or 3D artist), through complex digital builds in a wide variety of deliverable mediums: iOS apps, websites and web apps, exhibition kiosks, and print peripherals.
- Provide high level direction, design, and production assistance to core portfolio projects in mediums ranging from branding, editorial, illustration, and web design/theming.
- Lead Junior Designers through a myriad of production and creative tasks, ensuring high fidelity of work and successful deliveries.
- My first and most pivotal professional experience for grounding my workflow and design process thanks to three incredible partners, and co-partner and art director Petter Ringbom. His unforgiving tutelage formed my core abilities and thought-process.
- The large portfolio pool yet very small team (office size was commonly maxed at 4-6 with 2-3 of those being engineers) led to opportunities of being involved in roles an entry level designer is not often afforded.
Graphic Design (concentration in Illustration and Literature) → 2001-2015 → Maryland Institute College of Art
Printmaking + Photography → 2003 study abroad → Central St. Martins College of Art
- 7+ years of design management experience, including assisting with sales and agency positioning
- Rapid in-medium (HTML, CSS, JS) designing and prototyping / Real-time in-medium designing during internal ideation sessions and client reviews (made possible through Webflow)
- Over 8 years working closely with engineers in dev trenches, bestowing me not only with persistent stubble and a ponytail but also the ability to understand any build environment with little on-boarding.
- §508, WCAG, Microsoft Inclusive Design, and general accessibility prophet
- HTML semantic markup and best practices
- Sassy CSS skills: styling, animation, and best practices
- SVG coding, animation, and general mastery
- Experience with supporting and contributing to front-end development operations in builds making use of the major CMS/ecommerce platforms: Drupal, WordPress, Webflow, Magento, Shopify Plus.
- Advanced working knowledge and build experience in Webflow's CMS
- Client- and team-professed mastery of Webflow
- Advanced, expert experience in Adobe's Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and AfterEffects
- Advanced, expert experience in Figma, Sketch, Invision App and Studio, Zepelin, Framer, and Affinity Designer and Photo
- Advanced experience composing Jira tickets, documenting projects in Confluence, and using production management apps like: Asana, ClickUp, Basecamp, and Trello.
- Small and large team experience with Scrum, Agile, Kanban, waterfall, and general chaos workflows
Managerial + Directorial Skills
- Ability to identify what an individual truly excels at and resource them appropriately. Not everyone knows (or is honest as to) what they are best at 😏
- Ability to identify users and user desire. (I keep up-to-date on contemporary popular sociology, psychology, philosophy, and break-throughs in technology while watching Gilmore Girls and Avengers.)
- Providing estimates for projects and tasks, as well as adjusting estimates per individual being resourced.
- Conducting plan-of-attacks, transitioning resources, transitioning production groups (design » development), and facilitating kick-offs.
- Headhunting, interviewing, and testing potential employment resources. On-boarding and training design resources, even when their knowledge is limited. (I am particularly proud of my ability to convince and train designers, with little to no experience in HTML/CSS/JS, to work relatively comfortably in-medium via Webflow.)
- Bringer of humor and humility to a team.
Recent Explorations + Experience
- Skinning and ideative UX-altering of a blockchain-based water supply ledger, created/built by James Watts, for Third & Grove
- Functionality ideation, IA+UX development, and prototyping of a React Native vehicle inventory management and alert system application. Watch Case Study
- A real-time calculating/updating and stickied shopping cart using React, Mike DeWolf + Abby Milberg, for Third & Grove.
- Looking into WebGL as an in-browser, scalable tool for designing three-dimensional environments and experiences.
- I read philosophy (with a concentrated interest in consciousness, big data, connectomics, ethics, and social sciences) in my free time when I'm not crocheting or playing Just Desserts or Overwatch.
- I write scifi stories every now and then, some of them are available in the Writing section.
- I have two daughters: one is exceptionally good at Overwatch, the other is still toddling around.
- I miss building and riding bikes.
- I am constantly planning new PC builds that always become outdated before I'm able to purchase the parts and build them.
- Always looking for a D&D/Cyberpunk table. Always looking for more time in my life to actually sit at said table.
- Since I can't marry music, I married a musician. I listen to everything. Really. Everything.
↑ The last time I ever wore white, circa 1995.